Saturday, November 10, 2012
The following information was supplied by the Needham Police Department. Any charges mentioned do not indicate a conviction.
A kitchen fire was reported at a home on Hillside Avenue on Saturday, Nov. 3 at about 1:48 p.m. The Needham Fire Department was able to contain the fire to the kitchen area. The fire appeared to have been caused by a lamp sitting against combustible materials. Other incidents included in the Nov. 6 Needham Police reports: Bike Stolen from Back Patio A bike was reported stolen from the back patio of a Greendale Avenue home on Saturday, Oct. 3. The bike was described as a teal green “specialized road bike” and valued at about $200. Break-in Reported at High Street Home A break-in was reported a High Street home on Sunday, Nov. 4. One person was working in the house and confronted another person who had walked into the open basement and …
Saturday, September 22, 2012
The two pets whose owner lost his home last week were treated at Highland Animal Hospital.
Just a few hours after a call went out to the community seeking help for a Needham resident who lost his home in a fire, one local resident paid his pets' veterinarian bill in full. The two dogs, Woden and Spirit, were inside the home at 1079 South St. when a fire broke out in the kitchen around 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Sept. 19. Both the resident, who was cooking at the time, and his two pets were able to get out of the home safely, while Needham firefighters arrived to put out the fire. Animal Control Officer Danielle Landry was called in to help with the dogs and transported them to Highland Animal Hospital for treatment while the owner stayed with his home. But with the house estimated to be a total loss after the fire, the man was in …
Friday, September 21, 2012
After losing his home in the blaze, the Needham resident is struggling to pay veterinarian bills for his two animals.
Two dogs rescued from a house fire this week are being cared for at a local animal shelter—and with his home a possible total loss, their owner could use some help paying the pets’ vet bills. Along with their owner, husky mixes Woden and Spirit made it safely out of their home at 1079 South St. on Wednesday, Sept. 19, after a fire broke out in the kitchen at around 2:30 p.m. while the homeowner was cooking. Needham Police and Fire departments were quickly on the scene, assisted by other neighboring towns, and firefighters managed to get the fire under control—but not before it tore through three floors and caused quite a bit of damage. Needham Fire Deputy Chief Donald Anastasi estimated on Wednesday that the house was a “total loss.” …
Wednesday, September 19, 2012
The building was estimated to be a 'total loss' after flames and smoke filled three floors.
A South Street resident and his dogs made it safely out of their home Wednesday afternoon after a fire broke out in the kitchen. The man was cooking in the home's first-floor kitchen at around 2:30 p.m. when the fire broke out. He ran outside to flag down a passing car so he could borrow the driver’s cell phone and call 9-1-1, Needham Fire Deputy Chief Donald Anastasi said. Meanwhile, a neighbor had noticed flames at the window and also called it in. “When we pulled up, the back corner of the kitchen was fully engulfed in flames, extending out the window to the second and third floor,” Anastasi said. “The guys did a good job and put the fire out quickly, but there was extensive damage to the home.” Anastasi estimated the home, located at …
Second alarm struck at just after 2:30 p.m.
Update: Newton Fire Department tweeted it is among the area units sending help to battle the South Street blaze. Needham Fire Department is responding to a box alarm for a house fire at 1079 South St., according to a scanner report posted today at 2:28 p.m. According to the alert, police are reporting "heavy fire," with a second alarm struck at just after 2:30 p.m. Needham Patch will have more on the incident as information is available.
Tuesday, September 4, 2012
Resident was awakened by firefighters breaking into the home after he slept through the smoke alarms.
A Pine Street resident was able to make it to safety after a fire broke out in the attic of his home early Monday morning, thanks to working smoke detectors that were tied to an alarm system that notified the local fire department. Needham Fire Department received a call at around 5:15 a.m. on Monday, Sept. 3 from an alarm company reporting a possible fire at 7 Pine St. When firefighters arrived at the scene, they saw smoke coming out of the attic, Fire Chief Paul Buckley said. Firefighters knocked on the front door but received no response, so they broke a window to get into the home, then began advancing a hose through the house and upstairs to the third floor, where the fire had broken out. That’s when the home's sole occupant was …
Friday, December 30, 2011
The fire is described as electrical.
With the smell of smoke still lingering in the air, Needham Fire officials cleared the scene of a house fire at 138 Webster St. Friday afternoon. Officials on the scene described the blaze as an electrical fire that started in the walls of the 2.5-story single family home this morning. The fire quickly spread, officials said, to the ceilings and floor leaving heavy damage to both. No injuries have been reported. Reports were contributed by Steve Walsh and Bret Silverberg.