Friday, May 17, 2013
Five things you need to know today for May 17, for Needham and Wellesley.
1. Just a few degrees cooler than yesterday, but otherwise the same! 74ºF highs and sunny, according to the National Weather Service, followed by a mostly clear, 45ºF night. 2. If you are a big fan of the book "An Invisible Thread: the true story of an 11-year-old pandhandler, a busy sales executive, an unlikely meeting with destiny" by Laura Schroff, then perhaps you ought to head to Wellesley Free Library at 10 a.m. It's because there's a Friday Morning Book Group, and they meet this week. 3. Wellesley is also celebrating their Wonderful Weekend this weekend, with a parade and fireworks on Sunday, and a whole schedule of events starting this afternoon and continuing through the weekend. See the full schedule on the Wonderful Weekend …
Thursday, May 16, 2013
Five things you need to know today for Needham and Wellesley on May 16, 2013
1. After a some rains last night, the National Weather Service promises us a sunny day with a high of 80ºF and a low of 48ºF during the mostly clear evening. So, if you have a hard time focusing on work today, I won't blame you. 2. The Needham Retired Men’s Glee Club is welcoming new singers. They meet for rehearsal for an hour and a half every Thursday morning, starting at 9:30 a.m. at Carter Memorial United Methodist Church. For information, contact Fred Malouf at 781-444-1854 or email@example.com or Richard Hamlen at 617-327-1360 or firstname.lastname@example.org. 3. Seniors interested in playing the stock market may want to swing by the Needham Knights of Columbus hall this morning for their regular Senior Men's Investment Group Meeting, …
Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Five Things you need to know for Needham and Wellesley on May 15, 2013.
1. Increasing clouds during the day, heading to a mostly cloudy evening. The National Weather Service also predicts a chance of showers at about 30 percent during the day, 50 percent in the evening. Temperatures should range between 67ºF and 52ºF. 2. If you want to see some of Haiti's sights without actually leaving the country, there is a display of Haitian Artwork in Wellesley Square. Head over to 45 Church St in Wellesley anytime today to check it out. 3. Don't just stand there, plant something. An organization called Plant Something is heading the Needham Community Farm, and guess what they're going to do. Seeds and such will go into the community and education beds at 3:30 p.m. today, stop by for a free class. 4. Spend happy hour …
Tuesday, May 14, 2013
Five things you need to know today for Needham and Wellesley, on May 14, 2013
1. The National Weather Service is saying there could be some frost, of all things, this morning. It will be followed up by a sunny day and a high of 63ºF. The evening temperatures will dip to 37ºF for a mostly clear overnight. 2. Some cite Norman Rockwell's artistic style as classica Americana, but North Hill is going beyond that: he was fascinated by the struggle for civil rights in America. This morning, a presentation entitled Norman Rockwell: Beyond Idyllic Images is at the Wellesley Free Library at 10 a.m. Stop by for free, learn more. 3. A Wellesley Resident, Patti Quigley, was named Public Servant of the Year by Bridgewater State University. To celebrate, she and other honorees will be at the 40 Cedar St, Bridgewater location …
Monday, May 13, 2013
Five things to know today in and around Needham.
1. Supercuts in Needham is hosting Celeste-A-Thon, to raise money for Celeste Corcoran and her daughter, Sydney, survivors of the Boston Marathon bombings. 2. There is a Transitions Needham: Job Search Support meeting at 9 a.m. today. 3. It's a good question: How to Pay For College Without Going Broke. Find out tonight in Dedham. 4. The West Suburban Alliance of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Youth (WAGLY) meets tonight at 7 p.m. in Wellesley. 5. The sun returns fully today, with temperatures around 61, according to the National Weather Service. Though, it will be windy, with gusts from 11 to 15 miles per hour.
Friday, May 10, 2013
Five things you need to know today for Needham and Wellesley.
1. Needham Community Theatre presents Noises Off, directed by Frank Moffett. Performances are tonight, May 11 and May 18 at 8 p.m., plus a 2 p.m. show on May 19. 2. A reminder that tomorrow is the Walker Lives In Bloom Gala at the Walker School in Needham. Admission includes cocktails, dinner, and dancing to live music. Live and silent auctions will also be held. 3. The Tenacre Fair is scheduled for Saturday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Tenacre Country Day School in Wellesley. Carnival rides, games, pony rides and more will be available for kids and families. 4. A Wellesley College Photo Walk is being held Saturday at 4:30 p.m. Photographers Dennis Ditto and David Kahn will show their favorite spots to shoot, and talk about composition and …
Thursday, May 9, 2013
Five things you need to know today for Needham and Wellesley, on May 9, 2013.
1. Go get your coat: the National Weather Service is predicting some rain today. Between a 60 and 70 percent chance of showers throughout the day, and temperatures between 70ºF and 50ºF. Otherwise, it should be cloudy. 2. IMPULSE by Adamas Fine Jewelry in Wellesley is teaming up with JDRF in The Fight Against Type 1 Diabetes today. Knock 10 percent off your purchases, and they will give 100 percent of the proceeds to the cause. 3. All the world's a stage, but certain parts are more stage-like than others. Performing his one-man show, actor Stephen Collins is coming to Waterstone at Wellesley today to perform his tribute to William Shakespeare's work. The show must go on--so it's going on at 2 p.m. Call 781-235-1614 to RSVP. 4. The …
Tuesday, May 7, 2013
Five things you need to know today in Needham and Wellesley for May 7, 2013.
1. There's a 20 percent chance of showers today, during the day, says the National Weather Service. Highs of 77ºF, lows of 44ºF. Overnight, some patchy fog, and partly cloudy. 2. The Transitions center at the Presbyterian Church has resources available to job searchers. Drop by to access a computer any time between 9 a.m. to noon. For more information, call 781-444-3728 or e-mail email@example.com. 3. Waterstone at Wellesley is hosting a Tax-Free Investments discussion today, featuring experts from the Rockland Trust at 4:30 p.m. As always, their events are free and open to the public, but an RSVP is required--call 781-235-1614. 4. North Hill is opening their gallery, and are hosting an Artist Reception and Gallery Opening …
Monday, May 6, 2013
Five Things you need to know in Needham and Wellesley for May 6, 2013.
1. A chance to get some sun before the rain later this week--a high of 69ºF and sunny, is what the National Weather Service says you can expect for today, followed by a low of 46ºF and a mostly clear evening. 2. Unitarian Church of Wellesley Hills is hosting a (Free) Blues and Jazz concert with Soulmachine a little after lunch: band starts at 12:45 p.m. Tom Doran, instructor in History of Jazz and Rock and Roll classes at Wellesley Weston Lifetime Learning will play, and will make the show an annotated history of 3. Wellesley Books' Lorna Ruby is making a visit to Waterstone at Wellesley this afternoon, about 2:30 p.m., for anyone who would like to talk about some of the current bestsellers. It's free and open to any avid readers, but …
Friday, May 3, 2013
Five Things you need to know for Needham and Wellesley on May 3, 2013.
1. The National Weather Service promises us a sunny day with a high of 63ºF and a low of 40ºF in the mostly clear evening. 2. The Events Calendar is always open to all of your events. Feel free to post whatever you have on the site. However, we have recently had a few events rejected by our system. If that happens to yours, just send a note (and the link, please) to Editor Grahame Turner, and he will look into it. 3. Waterstone at Wellesley is doing something for the victims of the marathon bombing. They plan to host a dinner fundraiser for the One Fund Boston. 5 p.m. tonight, dinner and dessert costs $10 and the proceeds will go to the One Fund. 4. If you are looking for some lightly used clothes, toys or kids' equipment, then stop by…