With the heat index expected to hit more than 100 degrees today, the town of Needham has designated the as a “cooling center."
"Town officials encourage those who may be experiencing difficulty with the heat or who simply would like a cool place to relax to please visit the Needham Free Public Library, which is open until 9 p.m. this evening," officials posted in a notice on the town website, needhamma.gov. "The cooling center designation is for today, July 17, 2012. If needed, the Library will be designated as a cooling center on future days as well."
The town also offered the following recommendations for Needham residents:
• Avoid too much exposure to sun and extreme temperature changes;
• Avoid strenuous outdoor activities (especially during peak hours 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.);
• Keep rooms, offices and internal spaces well ventilated with fans, air conditioners or by opening windows;
• Stay inside as much as possible;
• Wear loose fitting, light weight and lighted colored clothing that covers the maximum amount of exposed skin;
• Take cool baths/showers when possible;
• When outdoors, plan wisely and include rehydration breaks;
• Drink plenty of water and avoid carbonated beverages; and
• Never leave children or pets unattended in closed vehicles.
If you or anyone you know is having trouble breathing or experiences a rapid increase in body temperature, immediately call 9-1-1 and request emergency medical assistance.