[UPDATED Monday, 3:09 p.m.]
As Hurricane Sandy blows through the area on Monday, Oct. 29, many schools, government offices and several businesses are closing. Below is an updated list of what's closed, canceled or postponed because of the storm. Know of something else? Add it in the comments at the bottom of the page.
Special Town Meeting—Needham's special Town Meeting has been postponed, according to an alert posted on the town website at a little after noon. The meeting has been rescheduled for Tuesday, Nov. 13 at 7:30 p.m. at Powers Hall.
Needham Free Public Library—The library is closed for now. The building may be opened as a respite center in the case of widespread and lasting power outages in town.
Charles River YMCA—Both YMCA locations in Needham plan to close at 1 p.m. because of the storm, according to an email alert sent out Monday morning.
Town Offices—Needham Town Hall and other non-emergency town offices will be closed on Monday because of the storm, according to a post on the town website. Residents who need to report a weather-related issue such as downed trees or wires should call 781-455-7550 and select Option 2, then Option 1 to be connected to the Department of Public Works Administration.
Athletic Events—Needham Public Schools Director of Athletics Micah Hauben has announced that all athletic events and practices have been postponed or canceled. The updated schedule for events planned for Monday, Oct. 29 is as follows:
- JV Football game at Natick—CANCELLED
- Middle School Field Hockey vs. Holliston—POSTPONED TBA at Pollard
- Girls Varsity Soccer vs. Marshfield—POSTPONED to Tuesday, Oct. 30 at 4 p.m. at DeFazio Turf #1
- Girls JV Soccer vs. Marshfield—POSTPONED to Tuesday, Oct. 30 at 4:30 p.m. at DeFazio Turf #2
- Girls V/JV/Freshman Volleyball at Dedham—POSTPONED to Tuesday, Oct. 30 (Varsity at 4 p.m., JV and Freshman at 5:15 p.m.)
- Girls Swim/Dive at Newton North—POSTPONED to Wednesday, Oct. 31 at 4 p.m. at Newton North High School
- MIAA DI Golf State Championship—POSTPONED to Monday, Nov. 5 at 9:30 a.m. at Norton Country Club
Schools—Needham Public Schools are closed on Monday, Oct. 29, according to an announcement posted on the district website over the weekend.
Businesses—The following Needham businesses have posted closures on Facebook, Twitter or elsewhere:
- Comella's was open but now they say they will close all locations at 4 p.m. Monday and reopen at 11:30 a.m. Tuesday.
- Blue on Highland will remain closed through Monday evening.
- Isis Parenting centers in Needham and elsewhere are all closed on Monday.
- Taylor's Stationery is closed on Monday.
- Swizzles—According to a Facebook post: “All Swizzles locations will be closed today [Monday] because Hurricane Sandy is making her own swirling creation in the NE. Tomorrow's status TBD. Stay safe, everyone!!”