The Needham Board of Selectmen will hold a regular meeting on Tuesday, May 22 at 7 p.m.
One or more members of the Board of Selectmen will be available between 6:45 and 7 p.m. for informal discussion with citizens. While not required, citizens are encouraged to call the selectmen’s office at 781-455-7500 ext. 204 in advance to arrange for an appointment. This enables the board to better assure opportunities for participation and respond to citizen concerns.
Below is the board's agenda for May 22 (revised May 21):
- 7 p.m. Raymond F. Bosworth Awards for Excellence in Historic Preservation—Carol Boulris, Gloria Greis, Historical Commission
- 7:10 p.m. Department of Public Works—Approaches to Downtown Streetscape Improvements
- 7:25 p.m. Town Manager—Cathodic Protection Easement-Algonquin Gas Transmission; Water Pollution Abatement Trust Loan; Town Manager Report
- 7:45 p.m. Board Discussion—Committee Reports
- 7:50 p.m. Executive Session (Exception 3)
There are no appointments this meeting.
- Approve a One Day Special Wines & Malt Beverages license for Missy Mahoney of Needham Pool & Racquet Club to hold its new member reception on Friday, June 15, 2012 from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. at Needham Pool & Racquet Club, 1550 Central Avenue, Needham.
- Accept donation of two new 8’ x 12’ Nylon flags for the Needham Town Common and the Needham Heights Common in preparation for Memorial Day from the Norfolk Lodge, A.F & A.M.
- Accept $315 in donations received for the Student Awareness of Fire Education program made in memory of David W. Jones from: Chromasonic TV, and Ms. Eleanor Denaro.
- Accept $7,038.54 donation made to the Needham Revitalization Trust Fund from the Needham Women’s Club.
- Ratify and sign the 2012 Arbor Day Proclamation, which proclaims the last Friday in April as Arbor Day in the Town of Needham and encourages residents to support all efforts to protect our trees and woodlands for future generations to come.
- Accept the following donations made to the Needham Public Library for the period February 9, 2012- May 16, 2012: Anne Nydam donated a copy of her latest book, Kate and Sam and the Cheesemonster, to the Children’s Room ($12.00); Father Daniel Kennedy Needham Knights of Columbus donated $25.00 to the library for the purchase of a book on football; Barbara Milligan donated seven books ($187.00); The Exchange Club of Needham gave the library $300.00 to purchase books on bullying; The Needham Garden Club donated $90.50 in memory of deceased members for the purchase of gardening books; The Boston Professional Hockey Association sent the library a copy of Full 60+ to History: The Inside Story of the 2011 Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins ($50.00); and the Poness Family gave the library a copy of the book, P.O.W: A Sailor’s Story, written by Ralph C. Poness and edited by Ralph J. Poness ($16.95).
- Accept the following donation made to the Needham Park and Recreation Commission: A Tennis Tutor Pro Lite battery operated tennis ball machine and blue ball hopper (valued at approximately $540) for the Tennis Programs from Mrs. Pauline Haran.
- Accept donation of 200 Hoodsie Ice Cream cups, and 200 spoons at a value of $75 for the Memorial Day observation to be held on May 28, 2012 from Roche Brothers, Needham.
- Accept 6’ x 10’ nylon American Flag to fly at Avery Square from Ted Shaughnessy.
- Grant permission for the Community Center of Needham to hold a community-wide luminary event (meet and stroll) on Sunday, November 4, 2012 between 4:00pm and 7:00pm. Participants would gather first at the Town Common and the stroll would conclude back at Town Common. Organizers must work with Police Department on route development to ensure safety of participants and for minimal disruption in the downtown area.
- Water and Sewer Abatement Order #1143.
- Approve minutes from the following Selectmen meetings: April 24, 2012 (Executive Session), May 7, 2012, May 8, 2012, May 9, 2012, and May 14, 2012.
- Grant permission for block parties