Submitted by the Needham Public Health Department
Since 1995, communities across the United States have observed National Public Health Week as a time to recognize the contributions of public health and highlight issues that are important to improving the public’s health.
Every year, chronic illnesses such as heart disease, cancer and diabetes are responsible for millions of premature deaths. Americans miss 2.5 billion days of work because of these illnesses, and all of that lost productivity adds up to more than $1 trillion. Injuries, unexpected accidents and violence affect people daily in all aspects of life. Unintentional injuries, such as motor vehicle crashes, poisonings, and burns rank among the top 10 causes of death for people aged 44 and younger.
Catching and preventing these illnesses and incidents before they develop is the key to improving our nation’s health. There are so many small steps we can take to begin leading healthier lives; sometimes it just takes a little motivation.
This year, the Needham Public Health Department is bringing National Public Health Week (April 2-6) to local residents through a series of events coordinated by a planning committee with representatives from Park & Recreation, , , , Needham Domestic Violence Action Committee, Eat Well Be Fit, , Needham Coalition for Youth Substance Abuse Prevention, Needham Coalition for Suicide Prevention and .
Below is an outline of events scheduled as part of National Public Health Week. All events are free and open to the public. For more information, contact the Needham Public Health Department at 781-455-7500 ext. 511 or visit www.needhamma.gov/health.
Health & Wellness Fair
- When: April 4, 12-3 p.m.
- Where: Powers Hall (located on the second floor of )
- What: Come enjoy snacks and entertainment while getting up-to-date information on how to stay healthy in 2012. There will be balance checks, blood pressure screenings, spatial and memory exercises, physical activity demos and much more.
Needham Neighborhood Walks
1. Monday April 2, 4 p.m.
- Meet at Tennis Courts located on Ellis Street.
- 1-mile loop Ellis Street to Hampton Avenue to Central Avenue to Gould Street
- Refreshments following the walk
2. Tuesday, April 3, 10:30 a.m.
- Meet at the Avery Crossings and Manor Parking Lot in Needham Heights
- 1-mile loop Highland Avenue, Webster Street, Hillside Avenue and West Street
- Refreshments following the walk at Avery Crossings
3. Thursday, April 5, 10 a.m.
- Meet at Field on Linden Street.
- 1-mile loop Linden Street to Sylvan Road to Oakcrest Road to Henderson Road to Oak Street to Linden Street
- Refreshments following the walk at High Rock Field
Healthy Cooking Class & Dinner
- When: Tuesday, April 3 from 5-7 p.m.
- Where: Avita of Needham, 880 Greendale Ave., Needham
- Space is limited. RSVP by calling Avita at 781-444-2266 or e-mailing email@example.com.
Roche Bros. Drawing Contest
- When: The month of April
- Rules: All Needham residents ages 2 through 17 can enter the contest. Entry sheets can be picked up at the starting April 1 and must be submitted back to Roche Bros. by April 30. Winners will be announced May 4.