A South Street resident and his dogs made it safely out of their home Wednesday afternoon after a fire broke out in the kitchen.
The man was cooking in the home's first-floor kitchen at around 2:30 p.m. when the fire broke out. He ran outside to flag down a passing car so he could borrow the driver’s cell phone and call 9-1-1, Needham Fire Deputy Chief Donald Anastasi said. Meanwhile, a neighbor had noticed flames at the window and also called it in.
“When we pulled up, the back corner of the kitchen was fully engulfed in flames, extending out the window to the second and third floor,” Anastasi said. “The guys did a good job and put the fire out quickly, but there was extensive damage to the home.”
Anastasi estimated the home, located at 1079 South St., was a “total loss,” with fire damage on all three floors and smoke damage throughout.
The homeowner was treated briefly on the scene by paramedics but decided to remain at the house while firefighters put out the flames. At least two dogs were also at the home and got out safely.
Needham Animal Control Officer Danielle Landry was on-scene to assist with the animals.
The resident declined to comment about the incident.
Needham Fire received assistance at the scene of the two-alarm fire from Westwood, Wellesley and Dedham fire departments, while Newton Fire Department arrived to help cover the stations, Anastasi said.
Needham Police helped direct traffic and kept South Street blocked off at Chestnut Street while crews cleared the fire.
Anastasi said firefighters would likely remain on the scene late into the evening to make sure there was no more active fire in the home and to clear smoke from the building.