Monday, August 5
- At about 10:15 a.m., police saw a car crash in the parking lot of a Great Plain Avenue business near Chestnut Street. One vehicle was unoccupied, but sustained moderate damage, the other vehicle was occupied by an 89-year-old Needham resident, and also sustained some damage. Police filed an immediate threat report with the RMV.
- A disturbance was reported on Chestnut Street, near the Carriage Lane intersection at around 3:15 p.m. Police believe a man was trying to walk away from a woman, who was aggressively pushing and shoving him. After the victim says he was assaulted, police arrested the woman. 21-year-old Victoria Cobb of Millis was arrested and charged with domestic assault-and-battery.
- Police pulled a vehicle over on Evelyn Road before 3:45 p.m., and after a brief investigation, discovered that the driver, a Roberto Avarelo, 41, of Malden had a warrant for his arrest, as well as no license or insurance on the car. He was arrested and charged with driving after a suspended license--fourth offense, driving without insurance, driving after a revoked registration.
- Nardone Road at Jarvis Circle, police received a report of threats at about 7:45 p.m. The reporting party says a white woman pulled up in front of his house in a black vehicle, and said he was dead, then drove away. He thought it was a woman he knew, but when he asked her, she said she had nothing to do with it. The man said he was not interested in pressing charges.
- At about 11 p.m., police pulled a vehicle over near the 128 Overpass on Highland Avenue. The driver, an 18-year-old from Needham was summonsed for a U-turn violation, driving an uninsured and unregistered vehicle, and speeding. Police towed the vehicle from the scene.
- A Yurick Road resident reports--at about 1:15 p.m.--that his car was egged some time during the day.
- When one driver stopped on Highland Avenue to let a pedestrian cross at the crosswalk, it was hit by the vehicle behind it. This was caused by a third vehicle running into the back of the second. One driver was taken to Beth Israel Needham hospital with complaints of head pain. The driver which rear-ended the second car was issued a citation for failing to use care when stopping at about 5:15 p.m.
- Police saw a black truck with a defective plate number at the intersection of West Street and Hunnwell Street, around 9:15 a.m. They determined that the driver had a suspended license, and summonsed him to court for driving after a suspension for being a habitual traffic offender, and defective equipment.
- A man came into the police department at about 4:45 p.m. saying that he had been involved in a car crash in a Chestnut Street parking lot, when one driver backed into another. He was not in need of immediate car, and police determined that the crash had actually happened in mid-July. Police contacted the other vehicle driver.
- 5:30 p.m., police stopped a car on High Rock Street for an inspection sticker violation. The driver, a 22-year-old from Needham, was issued a citation for the inspection sticker, and a town bylaw citation for possessing less than an ounce of marijuana.
The above information was supplied by the Needham Police Department. Any charges mentioned do not indicate a conviction.