Social media is pretty important to us at Needham Patch. Not only does it provide excellent ways of sharing news with Needham residents but it’s also just a great way to expand that sense of community that is so important in a town like Needham.
Because it is so important, we have Social Media Saturday, a feature published every weekend that highlights the past week’s worth of Tweets, posts, likes, friends and comments. It’s our way of thanking those of you who communicate with us and encouraging more of our readers to do the same—think of it like waving hello on the street. Wave to us! And every weekend, we’ll wave back.
This is also a great way to highlight new Needham-related Facebook and other media pages we come across. So if you’re out there and want us to know about you, send us a link!
Highlights of the Week
• With Hurricane-turned-Tropical-Storm Irene blowing into town, Twitter was an excellent way to share what was going on around Needham and to see what other people were experiencing. For a complete rundown of the storm, , but you can also get a pretty good sense of the action based on some of these Tweets from us and a few our the people we follow:
- @cindymeltz—That heavy rain band has passed #Needham and it's brighter. But the wind is intense.
- @new2needham—Driving back f/ Back Bay to #Needham along Beacon St. Lots of branches down. Some wires near BC. No flooding. Mostly ok to drive so far
- @new2needham—And.....just lost power the minute we stepped thru the door at home. #Needham Heights
- @NeedhamPatch—Tree down on Hazelton Ave. in #Needham. Share your own storm pics with Needham Patch http://bit.ly
- @JeremyDStanley—Forest St. tree leaning on house, on wires. #needham
- @cindymeltz—We've had power all day so far in Birds Hill neighborhood #Needham. Impressive. #MAIrene
- @GregoryWright—We just lost power right now on Thornton road at 11:35 after having it all day #ireneaftermath #bummer #Needham
- @Brian_Wood—@NeedhamPatch Greenough street, near Cricket, power is back as of 2:30ish.
- @TBSNeedham—Come to the temple; we have power and wifi! RT @NeedhamPatch: Still without power in #Needham? Tell us about it.
- @NeedhamPatch—Number of #Needham customers still without power
- @eightthehardway—Why do I have to be one of them???
Got a great storm Tweet to share? Tell us about it in the comments below.
• Thanks to Yael Nimon Katzman for liking us on Facebook this week. And if you haven’t found us yet, come on over and give us a click. We’ll be happy to return the favor.
• Roxanne Hope Randall liked our link to an announcement about a in memory of longtime Needham resident Rosemary Murphy.
• We forgot to mention that the week before, Alan, a Needham resident vacationing in New Jersey, responded to our Facebook request for comments on the earthquake that many felt here in town by calling and sharing his thoughts. Thanks for the response, Alan!
• Needham Historical Society shared a link to one of their upcoming events, Needham’s Walk Through History, on our Facebook page. Check it out and feel free to add your own news, notes and announcements via Facebook or on the Patch site itself—it’s easy!
Social Media Page of the Week
Find out what the specials of the day are—and what’s on tap—at The Village Fish via the Great Plain Avenue restaurant’s Facebook page. And while you’re there, be sure to check out the shots of some delicious-looking dishes, like this one.
Your Town on Facebook
For more Facebook pages Needham residents might find interesting, check out our list of "liked" pages on Needham Patch’s Facebook page. And don’t forget to follow us!
You also can follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/NeedhamPatch.