Submitted by Sherry Jackson, Needham COA Associate Director
The Friends of the Needham Elderly are planning their next trip on Thursday, July 19. Escape for the day and join the Friends aboard the Pilgrim Belle—a nostalgic Mississippi-style paddle wheeler—for a narrated cruise highlighting the story of the Pilgrims as they explore the waters of historic Plymouth Harbor and Cape Cod Bay.
Lunch will be included at the Hearth & Kettle Restaurant and includes either broiled Cape scrod or roast turkey dinner. Explore the Scenic Plymouth Waterfront and enjoy local speciality shops and restaurants.
The motor coach will leave Linden and Chambers, Linden St., Needham at 9.30 a.m. or 9.45 a.m. from the Senior Center and will return around 6/6:30 p.m. The cost of this trip is $64 (includes all tips).
Reserve a spot now by calling 781-455-7555 ext. 209. Full payment must be made upon reservation, along with luncheon choice and pick-up location.
Please make checks payable to “F.O.N.E” and mail to Needham Senior Center, 83 Pickering St., Needham, MA 02492, Attention: Trips. (No refunds if cancellation is received within 10 days prior to departure, unless a replacement can be found.)
Tour requires minimum of 30 passengers to operate, so tell your friends today.
The Friends' next trip will be on Wednesday, Aug. 22 to Lobster Fest in Holyoke, featuring a performance by "The Ponytails"—an all-girl tribute band that plays music from the 1960s. Cost is $74. Sign up now to secure a spot.
THIS WEEK AND COMING UP
These programs are going on this week or require registration. To sign up, call the at 781-455-7555.
- Weekly Flicks—Friday Flicks are held on most Fridays at the Stephen Palmer Senior Center. The free movies are shown at 1 p.m., and registration is not required. Coming up: "The Artist" (2011) on Friday, July 20.
- Monday’s Lunch Bunch—Try someplace new, socialize and enjoy a good meal with Monday's Lunch Bunch. The group meets at the Senior Center at 11:30 a.m. to board a van to the lunch destination. Coming up: Pizzeria Uno in Dedham on Monday, July 15 and Johnny's Luncheonette in Newton on Monday, July 23. A suggested donation of $5 will be collected on the van. Participants also pay the cost of their meals.
- "It’s Friday Entertainment Live"— Friday, July 13 at 1:30 p.m. at the . The Newton Swing Band will play songs from the Roaring '20s, through to the Fabulous '40s favorites, “golden oldies." Band members come from Needham, Wellesley, Waban, Stow, Walpole and Hopkinton, and range in age up to the 70s. They are directed by Jim Barr and Conducted by Alan Glou. There is no fee for this program, but sign-up is required.
- Meet the Author of "Knitters of Needham"—Wednesday, July 25, 1 p.m. at the Senior Center. Local author Chaim M. Rosenberg teams up with Needham Historical Society to tell history through photographs. The book boasts more than 200 vintage images and memories of days gone by of a once vibrant industry. The profits from the sale of the book will go to the Needham Historical Society. Books can be purchased at this event for $20. There is no fee. Sign-up is suggested. Call 781-455-7555. Light refreshments will be served.
- Free Legal Assistance—Friday, July 27, 1 p.m. at the Senior Center. Representatives from the Boston College Elder Law Project will provide free legal assistance to local seniors. Schedule an appointment by calling 781-455-7555.
TOURS AROUND NEEDHAM
- Narrated Neighborhood Tour of Needham—Friday, July 20, 11 a.m. Board the Council on Aging Van for a narrated tour of Needham’s neighborhoods. When you read the Needham newspapers and places in and around town are mentioned, do you wonder what they look like, or where they are? Learn about your town on this narrated tour. We will ride from the Needham Heights neighborhood to Birds Hill, Sabrina Lake and Ridge Hill Reservation. Along the way the Needham Recycle and Transfer Station (aka dump), DeFazio Field and the Public Works Building will all be pointed out, as will with other points of interest such as Volente Farms, Needham Historic Society, the five elementary schools, Middle School, High School, Memorial Field and the Vietnam Memorial. Sign-up is required. Group is limited to 11 passengers. Call 781-455-7555.
- Buy Something New While You Get Rid of Something Old—Friday, July 27, 11 a.m. Board the Council on Aging van at the Senior Center and go to the Needham Community Council for a tour of their new facility and the opportunity shop in the Thrift Shop. Bring something gentle used to donate their thrift shop. Sign-up is required. Group is limited to 11 passengers. Call 781-455-7555.
DANCE AND EXERCISE CLASSES
Get fit and learn something new with Council on Aging dance and exercise classes. Sign up in advance by calling 781-455-7555. Payment is due at the first class.
- Ballroom Dancing: “Cha-Cha"—Tuesdays, July 10, 17, 24, 31, at 2 p.m. at the Instructor Betty Hood will lead this four-week dance class. Cost is $16. Please wear shoes that allow movement on a wood floor—not rubber soles.
- The Arthritis Exercise Class—Tuesdays, July 10, 17, 24, 31, at 10 a.m. This exercise program includes range-of motion exercises (includes flexibility, strengthening exercises, endurance activities, weight-bearing activities, balance and coordination activities, posture and body mechanics training). Cost is $16. Another session will be offered on Thursdays, July 12, 19, 26 and Aug. 2 at 2 p.m. at the YMCA on Chestnut Street. Cost is $16.
LUNCH AND LEARN
"Aging with Attitude" is a fun and inspiring talk for seniors. Explore factors that contribute to ongoing health and vitality, learn how to prevent falls, stay safe with medications, create and maintain vitality and purpose and share your life’s lessons. This program will be presented by Linda Smith, RN, CMC principal of Metrowest Eldercare Managementon Thursday, July 12 at 11 a.m. at the Senior Center. The program is free, but sign-up is required. Call 781-455-7555.
Would you like to learn how to play Mah Jong, Whist or Cribbage? Do you already know how to play games such as Mah Jong, Bridge, Whist, Cribbage, Scrabble, Backgammon or Poker and want to join a group? Call Sherry Jackson, associate director at the Needham Council on Aging, at 781-455-7555 ext. 205 for information.
TRY SOMETHING NEW
- Computer Lessons—The Council on Aging offers computer lessons on Thursday afternoons by appointment. Those who would like to learn about computers in a one-on-one session with an instructor are invited to these classes. Lessons are offered on Thursdays from noon to 3 p.m. (by appointment). There is no fee for this class. To make a 45-minute appointment, call the COA at 781-455-7555.
- Singers wanted—If you can read music or can carry a tune, join this new group meeting on Tuesday afternoons from 12:45-1:45 p.m. at the Senior Center. Fred Shaw will lead the group in song and will provide the lyrics to songs old and new. Shaw said that his interest in music sprang from listening to barbershop and leaning to harmonize certain tunes. Shaw has performed for a wide variety of locations and audiences; however, he may be best known for his role as "Ring Master" of the mid-1960s television show “Bozo the Clown.” No audition required. Sign up is appreciated in order to have enough song sheets for all to participate. Call the Senior Center at 781-455-7555 to sign up.