It’s Thursday, and the weekend is right around the corner. Patch has your back with a few fun things to do. Check our picks for the activities to hit and some places to explore. Here's what's happening in and around your town.
Needham Rockets vs. Brookline Warriors Football
- Where: Memorial Field, Rosemary Street and Highland Avenue, Needham
- When: Friday, Oct 5 at 6 p.m.
- Why go: Cheer on the Needham High School Rockets as they host the Brookline Warriors in this week's Friday football game. After the game, Needham teens can drop by the high school gym for the Needham Coalition for Youth Substance Abuse Prevention’s 5th Quarter event. There will be free pizza, snack and drinks, a live DJ, raffles and games like ping-pong and foosball
- Cost: Gate admission for the game is $5 for adults and $3 for students and senior citizens; children 6 and under get in free. 5th Quarter is free.
NBA Annual Harvest Fair and Souper Bowl
- Where: Needham Town Hall and Town Common, 1471 Highland Ave., Needham
- When: Saturday, Oct. 6 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Why go: Join the Needham Business Association for a day full of food, fun and entertainment on the Town Common. There will be children’s activities such as pony rides and a bounce house, a food court and booths from member businesses and local nonprofit agencies. Sample harvest fare from local restaurants and vote for your favorite in the annual Souper Bowl.
- Cost: Free
Family Fun at Carter Pumpkin Patch
- Where: Carter Memorial United Methodist Church, 800 Highland Ave., Needham
- When: Saturday, Oct. 6 from 1-3 p.m.
- Why go: Bring the family to pick up a pumpkin or two at Carter Memorial Church’s Pumpkin Patch (proceeds support church missions) and enjoy a moon bounce while you’re there.
- Cost: Free activities; pumpkins start at $3
Make Your Own Sauerkraut with Needham Community Farm
- Where: Whole Foods Market, 442 Washington St., Wellesley (downstairs kitchen)
- When: Saturday, Oct. 6 from 2-4 p.m.
- Why go: Learn how to make your own fermented sauerkraut with help from the Needham Community Farm. Simple ingredients and an easy method will be used to create this naturally preserved food that helps improve your digestion. The class fee includes materials and sauerkraut. Register online at www.needhamfarm.org.
- Cost: $25 per person
Needham Farmers Market Bike Day
- Where: , 23 Dedham Ave., Needham
- When: Sunday, Oct. 7 from 1-5 p.m.
- Why go: The first 25 people to bicycle to the Needham Farmers Market will receive a $2 coupon to use at the market that day. Limit one coupon per family. Make sure to come to the market manager’s tent to get your coupon. This week’s featured artisans will be Sheryl Scipione and Mary Hensley, and Beantown Brass Quintet will perform. Friends of the Needham Rail Trail will be featured at the nonprofit table. The market is held every Sunday through October. Learn more at www.needhamfarmersmarket.org.
- Cost: Free admission; items for sale
Don’t see your event here? Make sure to add it to the Needham Patch calendar so we can help spread the news! Log in to your free account (or sign up now), click on “Events” in the blue navigation bar and then click “Add an Event.” Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.