It’s Thursday, and the weekend is right around the corner. Patch has your back with a few fun things to do. Check our picks for the activities to hit and some places to explore. Here's what's happening in and around your town.
1. Solar Open House
- Where: 307 Brookline St., Needham
- When: Saturday, Nov. 10, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Why go: Come learn about the amazing benefits and incentives of going solar. There are only two options when a homeowner goes solar, you either make money (owning a system) or save money (lease the system.) If you can go solar and produce clean sustainable energy, why would you not? Enjoy fresh catered food from your very local Volante Farms.
- Cost: Free; RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
2. “Personal Stories of the Civil War”
- Where: Needham Historical Society, 1147 Central Ave., Needham
- When: Sunday, Nov. 11, 2 p.m.
- Why go: The larger history of the Civil War is made up of the smaller stories of towns and soldiers - stories that are told more in family records, letters, and keepsakes than in the history books. In "Personal Stories," Claire Fusaro and Janet Drake will use these family memories to understand the day-to-day experiences of young Massachusetts men, away from home for the first time, and fighting for the Union and each other. Following the talk, visitors are encouraged to view the exhibit "Free Soil—Free Men: Needham and the Civil War, 1861-1863."
- Cost: Free
3. Rivers Symphony Orchestra Opening Night
- Where: Christ Episcopal Church, 1132 Highland Ave., Needham
- When: Sunday, Nov. 11, 3 p.m.
- Why go: The Rivers Symphony Orchestra, a community orchestra for adults and advanced students conducted by David J. Tierney, will open its 2012-2013 season with a program featuring Beethoven’s early work, Symphony No. 1 in C Major, Op. 21, Cello Concerto in C Major by Franz Josef Haydn and Tom Schnauber’s “Tell Me About That Piece, Leroy.” Cellist and Artistic Director of the Needham Concert Society Ron Lowry will join the Rivers Symphony Orchestra as the soloist.
- Cost: General admission tickets are $15 and can be purchased at the door.
Don’t see your event here? Make sure to add it to the Needham Patch calendar so we can help spread the news! Log in to your free account (or sign up now), click on “Events” in the blue navigation bar and then click “Add an Event.” Questions? Email email@example.com.