Submitted by the Needham Public Health Department
With witches, goblins and superheroes descending on neighborhoods this month, the has a few safety tips to keep Halloween fun and safe for everyone.
- Walk, slither and sneak on sidewalks, not on the street or around parked cars.
- Look both ways before crossing the street to check for cars, trucks and low-flying brooms.
- Carry a flashlight to light your way.
- Adults or responsible teenagers should accompany trick-or-treaters.
- Use face paint rather than masks that can limit vision.
- Swords, knives and similar costume accessories should be short, soft and flexible.
- Keep the capes & other costume parts away from candles and feet that might trip.
- Save the candy eating for home when an adult can look through the treats.
- Throw away opened candy and be cautious of small, hard candy with young children.
- Go only to houses with the lights on.
(Adapted from the American Red Cross)