Needham students aren’t the only ones who get to sleep in this morning, the first day of their April vacation. It’s also Patriots' Day, so many state, county and town employees have the day off as well, as Massachusetts commemorates the official start to the Revolutionary War (the opening battle of which began on April 19, 1775).
Whether you’re looking to get some errands done with the day off or it’s business as usual, you may be wondering how the state holiday will affect your schedule. Here’s a look at a few of the places that are closed today.
- Banks: Most banks are open today. If you’re not sure, find your local bank in our directory and call to make sure.
- County offices: All Norfolk County offices are closed today.
- Library: The will be closed today. It will reopen for its usual hours at 9 a.m. on Tuesday.
- MBTA service: The Commuter Rail's Needham Line will operate on its regular schedule today. The local bus line, Route 59, will operate on a Saturday schedule. The Red, Blue, Orange, Green, and Mattapan Line will operate on a regular weekday schedule with extra service before and after the marathon. There are a few other changes throughout the system; see full schedules, service updates and other information at mbta.com.
- Post offices: The U.S. post offices in Needham and Needham Heights will both be open today.
- Schools: All are closed today, but not just because it’s Patriots’ Day. All this week, local students will be enjoying their April vacation week. Parents: Looking for ideas to keep the kids busy? Check out the Patch events calendar. Classes will resume on Monday, April 23.
- Senior Center: Both the Council on Aging office and the are closed. Activities will resume on Tuesday.
- State offices: All state offices are closed today.
- Town offices: Need to drop off a bill, register to vote or apply for a building permit? Not today. All Needham town offices are closed.