"Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Sunny day: Today will be sunny with a high around 80 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. The evening will be partly cloudy with a low around 54 degrees.
2. Picnic at Hemlock Gorge: Rescheduled because of rain, the Friends of Hemlock Gorge’s annual will be held tonight at 6:00 p.m. at , 1 Hamilton Place (just off Elliot Street). The Friends is a nonprofit group that watches over the preserve and documents the area’s history. Bring a picnic meal, chairs and blankets and come enjoy classic rock and original songs performed by the band Broken Rose.
3. On Broadway: Come enjoy as Longwood Opera continues its summer concert series with a show at 7:30 p.m. at . Admission is $8 at the door, and $6 for seniors, students and children age 10 and under.
4. Rotary Club meeting: Interested in service and helping out around the community? Join the . The club holds weekly lunches every Tuesday at noon at the . The gatherings are free to anyone interested in learning more about the club and its membership.
5. Singers welcome: The will be performing as part of the town’s on Sunday, Sept. 11. The choir will sing two anthems and two hymns at the event, which will be held at Memorial Park at 5:00 p.m. Lend your voice to the group and join them for two rehearsals, scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 1 from 7:30-9:00 p.m. and Wednesday, Sept. 7 from 7:30-9:00 p.m. For more information, e-mail Millie Beane at email@example.com.