It’s Thursday, and the weekend is right around the corner. Patch has your back with a few fun things to do. Check our picks for the activities to hit and some places to explore. Here's what's happening in and around your town.
- Where/when: Sorenson Center at ; Thursday, Aug. 11 and Friday, Aug. 12 at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday, Aug. 13 at 2:00 p.m.
- Why go: Come enjoy the classic musical, “Oklahoma,” performed by members of Saint Joe’s Summer Theater program.
- Pricing: Tickets are $15 for adults and $12 for children and seniors. To purchase, contact Hannah Clifford at 781-801-6190 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Where/when: r, 754 Greendale Ave.; Saturday, Aug. 13, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Why go: Meet up with other local motorcyclists and enjoy a leisurely ride to New Hampshire in back. The group will leave around 8:30 a.m. from the parking lot at 754 Greendale Ave. and travel to Westmoreland, N.H., stopping along the way for stretch breaks, lunch and ice cream. Riders should arrive with their bikes filled and ready to go and bring money for lunch. Register online at n300ride.eventbrite.com or by calling Gary at 781-444-4284.
- Pricing: Participation is free; bring money for lunch
3. Take Advantage of the Tax Holiday
- Where/when: Stores in Needham and throughout Massachusetts; Saturday, Aug. 13 and Sunday, Aug. 14 all day
- Why go: Whether you’ve been eyeing a major purchase or want to get started on buying back-to-school supplies, this is the weekend to do it. Saturday through Sunday, shoppers won’t have to pay sales tax on all purchases up to $2,500. Looking for a certain kind of shop in town or want to know the store hours? Check out our Places listings for information about Needham businesses.
- Pricing: Depends on the purchase—but all tax-free!
- Where/when: , 50 Oakland St., Wellesley; Friday, Aug. 12 and Saturday, Aug. 13, 8:00-11:00 p.m. Also a matinee on Sunday, Aug. 14 at 2:00 p.m.
- Why go: Watch your favorite fairy tales come to life—with a twist—in the Newton Country Players’ production of “Into the Woods.” Tickets cost $20 for adults, $18 for students and seniors and free for MassBay students. Purchase tickets online at newtoncountryplayers.org or call 617-244-9538.
- Pricing: $20 for adults, $18 for students and seniors; free for MassBay students
5. Swim at Rosemary Pool
- Where/when: , Rosemary St. and Hillside Ave.; Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 13-14 from 12:30-7:45 p.m.
- Why go: Saturday should be sunny and warm, with a high near 84 degrees, according to the National Weather Service, which makes it a great day to go to the pool in the final weeks of the 2011 season. Rain may arrive on Sunday, though, so it might be good to have another plan then.
- Pricing: Needham resident daily rate: Ages 2-59, $6; ages 60+, $3. Non-resident rate: Ages 2-59, $8; ages 60+, $3. Admission for all is half off after 6:00 p.m.