Updated on Wednesday, Sept. 5 at 2:30 p.m.
“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Rainy: We could see showers and a possible thunderstorm today, with some storms producing heavy rainfall, according to the National Weather Service. The evening will be mostly cloudy with more chance of showers. High: 76, Low 61. Chance of precipitation: 80 percent by day, 40 percent in the evening.
2. Back to school! Class is today for most students in Needham Public Schools. Grades 1-12 go back today, while most kindergartners start on Thursday and preschoolers and Hillside kindergartners start on Friday. If you’ve got a student in school, be sure to mark down to remember for the 2012-13 school year. Not quite sure when the school bus will be coming down your street? Check out Needham Public Schools’ 2012-13 bus routes on the Transportation Department webpage.
3. Tips for 21st Century Caregivers: Needham seniors, senior care specialists and senior caregivers are invited to attend a free seminar today from 7-9 p.m. at the . The program will look at and the new opportunities available to elders and those with disabilities. For more information, visit www.mweldercare.com.
4. Athlete fee due: Today is the deadline to submit the athletic user fee for student athletes participating in fall sports at . Fees can be dropped off at the NHS Athletic Office. The standard user fee per athlete per season is $285. In the fall there is a $50 surcharge for girls swimming and diving participants. Reduction of Fee Request Forms can be picked up in the Athletic Office. Please make all checks payable to "NHS Athletics."
5. Volunteers needed: Child Assault Prevention Program (CAP) is seeking volunteers. New training begins Oct. 17. The training has been revised to more easily fit with busy schedules. For more information and an application, visit www.needhamcommunitycouncil.org or email Gail Sommer at CAP@needhamcommunitycouncil.org.