“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Rainy day: Rain is expected after 11 a.m. and into the evening, with possible thunderstorms late tonight, according to the National Weather Service. High: 57, Low: 52. Chance of precipitation: 80-90 percent.
2. Thrift shop open: The Needham Community Council thrift shop is open on Fridays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Find a great selection of clothing for men, women and children as well as toys, small household items and even a few pieces of small furniture. Use the entrance on the left side of the building. All proceeds support community programs.
3. Clear out the medicine cabinet: Needham health and public safety officials encourage residents to dispose of their unused and expired medications during Medication Take-Back Day on Saturday, Sept. 29. Between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., residents can safely dispose of unwanted, unused and expired medications at a drop-off area in the front, circular driveway of the Needham Police Department. Can’t make the event? Safe medication disposal is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week in the Needham Police Department lobby.
4. Committee forming: The Board of Selectmen is looking for Needham residents to serve as members of the recently formed Solar Exploratory Committee, which will explore options for installing solar energy technology at Needham’s former town landfill and other town-owned sites. Applicants must be registered voters. Experience with alternative energy and energy facility installation, or related experience, is preferred. Apply online at www.needhamma.gov/committeeform.
5. Get more from Patch: Looking for more news, updates and photos from Needham Patch? Follow us on Twitter, "like" us on Facebook and get news right in your inbox every morning by signing up for our email newsletters.