“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Sunny: Today will be sunny with clear skies in the evening, according to the National Weather Service. High: 81, Low: 56.
2. Dance lessons: If you’ve ever wanted to learn how to square dance, . Join the Great Plain Squares for lessons starting today and continuing Wednesday evenings through May. Classes are held at . Weekly classes cost $7 per person, but the first class is free. Singles are welcome. For more information, call Paul Howard at 781-801-0725, visit www.greatplainsquares.org or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Parent info: Parents of sophomores and juniors are encouraged to attend an information night today from 7-8:30 p.m. in the high school auditorium. Parents will be able to take part in two breakout sessions of their choosing. Sessions include meeting the assistant principals, grade-specific guidance information and a special needs/student support session.
4. Senior housing seminar: As part of National Senior Center Month, the is hosting a two-day seminar on Homeowner and Housing Options. The first session will be held today from 1:30-4 p.m. at the and will feature a panel of speakers talking about retirement community living options. The day will include refreshments, raffles and a free tour of the facility of your choice. Sign-up is required; call 781-455-7555. The second session will be held on Thursday, Sept. 20 and will focus on options for seniors who want to remain in their home or apartment.
5. Hospital gala: ’s 14th annual is coming up on Friday, Oct. 26. The event will be held from 6-11 p.m. at the Newton Marriott Hotel with dinner, dancing and a live auction. For tickets, go to www.bidmc.org/needhamgala. The gala will feature emcee Susan Wornick, WCVB-TV’s anchor/investigative consumer reporter, and NECN TV Diner and Kiss 108’s Billy Costa who will host the evening’s live auction.