“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Sunny: Today will be sunny, with mostly clear skies in the evening, according to the National Weather Service. High: 71, Low: 48.
2. Remembering 9/11: and departments are expected to commemorate the tragic events of September 11, 2001 today with . Looking for a way to honor the fallen on your own? Visit the 9/11 Memorial in Needham—a peaceful garden located at the corner of Highland Avenue and Rosemary Street (near ), with a plaque memorializing the Needham residents who lost their lives in the 2001 terrorist attacks.
3. Board meetings: The Needham Board of Selectmen will meet today at 7 p.m. on the first floor of . See the full agenda . Selectmen will be available to meet informally with citizens from 6:45-7 p.m. While not required, citizens are encouraged to call the selectmen's office at 781-455-7500 ext. 204 to arrange an appointment. Also today: The Planning Board will meet at 7:30 p.m. in the Charles River Room inside the . See the agenda .
4. Rotary Club lunch: Interested in service and helping out around the community? Join the . The club holds weekly lunches every Tuesday at noon at the . The gatherings are free to anyone interested in learning more about the club and its membership.
5. Last chance: The Library Foundation of Needham’s annual is rapidly approaching, scheduled for this Friday, Sept. 14 at the Sheraton Needham Hotel. The fundraiser will feature Gregory Maguire, author of “Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West,” and will include a buffet dinner, dancing and silent and live auctions (prizes include a tour of the White House, Patriots tickets and more). Tickets cost $75 each and can be reserved online at www.lfnonline.org (click on “register for gala”).