“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Mostly sunny: Expect patchy fog this morning before 10 a.m., with the rest of the day mostly sunny, according to the National Weather Service. High: 56, Low: 40.
2. Columbus Day: Today is Columbus Day, and students in Needham Public Schools have the day off from classes. School will resume on Tuesday.
3. Simchat Torah: Come help the Temple Aliyah community unroll the Torah and celebrate its special meaning today during Simchat Torah. Beginning at 6:15 p.m., congregants will dance around the synagogue with Torahs, hear live a cappella music with members of Zamir Chorale, and enjoy food, games, singing and quizzes. Cantor Gaston Bogomolni will run a special service/activity for toddlers at 5:15 p.m. with music, movement and dancing with the Torah.
4. Speak up: The Boston West Toastmasters Club meets from 7:30-9 p.m. every second and fourth Monday of the month at Christ Episcopal Church in Needham. This local chapter of Toastmasters International is a nonprofit organization that helps its members develop their public speaking skills. Learn more at their website.
5. Volunteers needed: Child Assault Prevention Program (CAP) is seeking volunteers. New training begins Oct. 17. The training has been revised to more easily fit with busy schedules. For more information and an application, visit www.needhamcommunitycouncil.org or email Gail Sommer at CAP@needhamcommunitycouncil.org.