“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Special Town Meeting: Depending on how Hurricane Sandy treats the region today, Needham is scheduled to go forward with its special Town Meeting tonight at 7:30 p.m. at Powers Hall, on the second floor of Needham Town Hall. On the warrant are zoning and budget articles and several projects up for Community Preservation Act funding. Check out the warrant at needhamma.gov (or in the image gallery at right). If the meeting is postponed because of the weather, an announcement will be posted on the town website by noon today.
2. No school: As announced on Sunday, Needham Public Schools are closed today, and all school activities are cancelled or postponed. Know of other cancellations in town because of Hurricane Sandy? Send tips to firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet @NeedhamPatch.
3. Candy for the troops: Once things settle after the storm passes today, many families will be getting back into Halloween mode, preparing for trick-or-treating, which will take place on Wednesday, Oct. 31 in neighborhoods all over Needham. If you’re looking for a way to get rid of the leftovers or over-abundance while supporting a great cause, bring your extra candy to Chestnut Dental in Needham, Nov. 1-6. The practice will trade goody bags for bags of presorted Halloween candy, to be distributed to troops overseas through Operation: American Soldier.
4. Luminaries for sale: Needham’s first Luminary Night will be held on Sunday, Nov. 5. Residents are encouraged to place candle-lit luminaries along their sidewalks and walkways connecting neighbors in a non-denominational celebration of community. From 4-6 p.m., Needham Center will be illuminated with special entertainment, open shops and restaurants. Go online to www.luminarystroll.org to order a luminary kit—a set of 10 can be purchased for a $20 donation. Proceeds support efforts to bring a community center to Needham. Learn more at communitycenterofneedham.com.
5. Get more from Patch: Looking for more news, updates, photos and more from Needham Patch? Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and get news right in your inbox every morning by signing up for our email newsletters. Following in the spirit of our town’s friendly football rivalry, Needham Patch is working to get more Facebook fans than Wellesley Patch. Spread the word!