“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Mix of clouds and sun: Today will be mostly cloudy, gradually becoming sunny, with clear skies in the evening, according to the National Weather Service. High: 68, Low: 47. Weekend forecast: Showers possible; high of 66 on Saturday and 59 on Sunday, with lows of 46 both days.
2. Family movie: Bring the kids to the Needham Free Public Library Community Room today at 3:30 p.m. for a free showing of “The Pirates! Band of Misfits,” which is rated PG and runs 88 minutes.
3. Hospital gala: Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Needham will hold its 14th Annual Gala today from 6-11 p.m. at the Newton Marriott Hotel. Funds raised will benefit the new Beth Israel Deaconess Cancer Center and Surgical Pavilion at BID-Needham. This year’s theme celebrates BID-Needham’s 100th anniversary. The evening will include dinner, dancing and a live auction, with celebrity hosts Susan Wornick, WCVB-TV’s anchor/investigative consumer reporter, and NECN TV Diner and Kiss 108’s Billy Costa. For tickets or to make a donation, go to www.bidmc.org/needhamgala.
4. Distinguished alumni: Four Needham High School graduates will be presented with the 23rd annual NHS George Dennett Distinguished Career Award during a ceremony today at the high school. The 2012 recipients include: Actress/singer Nancy Anderson, NHS Class of 1988; documentary filmmaker Mark Becker, NHS Class of 1987; and FBI Assistant Special Agent in Charge Jeffrey S. Sallet, NHS Class of 1988.
5. Fall cleanup help: Looking for a clean yard, a tax deduction, and a way to help a great organization? Sign up for Needham High School Habitat for Humanity Clean-Up Day on either Saturday, Oct. 27 or Saturday, Nov. 3. A group of high school students will come to your house on between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. to rake leaves and perform other light landscaping duties. This service is available to Needham residents. Homeowners must provide bags and other tools for cleanup and are in charge of waste disposal. Donations will support local Habitat affiliates. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.