“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Partly sunny: Today will be partly sunny with a calm wind, with clouds moving in toward the evening, according to the National Weather Service. High: 60, Low: 45
2. Early release: Needham Public Schools will let students out two hours early today so that staff can participate in professional development. Find early release times and other upcoming early release dates in Patch’s Back to School guide.
3. Diabetes 101: Needham residents are invited to come learn more about Type 1 and 2 diabetes during Diabetes Day, today from 1-4 p.m. in Powers Hall. There will be presentations by several health professionals, including nutritionists from the Joslin Diabetes Center at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Needham. This program is free and open to the public and is cosponsored by the hospital and the Needham Public Health Department. There will be glucose testing, depression screening, informal and formal discussions with physicians, interactive educational games and a chance to win an iPod Touch.
4. Alzheimer’s workshop: The Alzheimer’s Association, based in Watertown, is offering a free workshop, "When Alzheimer’s or Dementia Touches Your Family: What You Should Know and What You Can Do," today from 7-9 p.m. at Temple Beth Shalom. This program is open to the public. RSVP to Rachel Block, firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about Alzheimer programs, visit www.alz.org/MANH.
5. Chamber breakfast: Tickets are on sale now for the Newton-Needham Chamber's 97th annual Awards Achievement Breakfast on Wednesday, Nov. 14 at 8 a.m. at the Needham Sheraton Hotel. State Treasurer Steve Grossman and WBUR radio personality Robin Young will be the guest speakers. The breakfast will also honor local businesses and individuals for their contributions to the economic and cultural vitality of Newton and Needham. Tickets cost $50 for Chamber members or $70 for non-members. Register online by Oct. 31 for a special rate. Learn more or register at nnchamber.com.