“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Mostly sunny: Today will be mostly sunny and windy, with gusts up to 29 miles per hour, according to the National Weather Service. High: 63, Low: 41.
2. Rail trail update: The Friends of the Needham Rail Trail Greenway will hold an informational hearing about two articles on the Oct. 29 Special Town Meeting warrant tonight from 7:30-9 p.m. at The Congregational Church of Needham. The evening will include a slide presentation on the proposed rail trail and an update on efforts to create a bicycle plan for the town.
3. Step up: A fundraiser for Needham Steps Up, a mentoring program for low-income Needham High School students, will be held tonight from 6:30-9 p.m. at the Needham Sheraton Hotel. Tickets cost $75 per person or $45 for employees of Needham Public Schools. Learn more at needhamstepsup.org.
4. Last debate: The presidential candidates will face off in one final debate tonight. Air time, channels and more details here: http://patch.com/A-yM44. Tell us: Will you be watching?
5. Parenting conference: The High Rock and Pollard PTC’s third annual Middle School Parenting Conference is coming up on Saturday, Nov. 3. Titled, “I’d Listen to My Parents if They’d Just Shut Up!”—What to Say and Not Say When Parenting Teens,” the conference will include practical and useful tips and strategies for parenting middle school aged children. The program will run from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Pollard Middle School. This event is free, but registration is required at http://highrockpollardparenting.eventbrite.com.