“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Sunny: Today will be sunny with a calm wind and partly cloudy skies in the evening, according to the National Weather Service. High: 62, Low: 49.
2. Voter registration: Today is the last day to register to vote in the Nov. 6 state, presidential and special town election. The Needham town clerk’s office, on the first floor of Town Hall, will be open from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. for voter registration. Want to vote absentee? Details here.
3. Senior center fundraiser: The Friends of the Needham Elderly are holding a cocktail fundraiser tonight at Needham Golf Club to raise money for the new senior center. The event will include live and silent auctions, special guest servers, hors d'oeuvres and a cash bar—as well as a few surprises. Tickets cost $50 each. For more information, visit www.needhamfone.com.
4. Coat sale: The Needham Community Council’s Annual Coat Sale will continue today during regular thrift shop hours (10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 5-7 p.m.). Find great bargains on men’s, women's and children's styles from casual to formal, fleece to fur. All coats have been inspected by council volunteers and are in great shape. Most coats cost between $5 and $15. Proceeds support the council’s various free programs.
5. Pie time: Need a pie for your Thanksgiving dinner? Reserve an apple, pecan, pumpkin, sweet potato or diabetic apple pie through Community Servings’ annual “Pie in the Sky” fundraiser, supported locally by Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage in Needham. Community Servings is a nonprofit organization that provides free, home-delivered meals to acutely ill individuals, their families and caregivers in 18 cities and towns throughout Massachusetts. For every pie sold, Community Servings will be able to feed one client for five days. Reserve your pies for $25 each now through Saturday, Nov. 17 by calling Nancy Gallerani at the Coldwell Banker office, 781-444-7400, or online at www.pieinthesky.org.