“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. First frost: The season’s first frost is expected today after 3 a.m., with an evening low around 29 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. The day will be increasingly cloudy with a chance of showers, mainly before 1 p.m. Winds could gust as high as 24 miles per hour. High: 55, Low 29.
2. Sing-a-long: Children’s musician Ed Morgan will be at the Needham Free Public Library today from 3-3:45 p.m. for a drop-in sing-a-long. This program is free and open to preschool-age children, accompanied by an adult.
3. Coat sale: The Needham Community Council’s Annual Coat Sale runs Oct. 12, 13 and 17 during regular thrift shop hours (10 a.m. to 2 p.m. today). Find great bargains on men’s, women's and children's styles from casual to formal, fleece to fur. All coats have been inspected by council volunteers and are in great shape. Most coats cost between $5 and $15. Proceeds support the council’s various community programs.
4. Live chat: Democrat Joe Kennedy III, who is running for the Fourth Congressional District seat, will be answering reader questions in a live text chat on Needham Patch today beginning at 1 p.m. Drop by and ask Joe a question and read what he has to say. If you can’t make the chat, send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org, and I’ll make sure they get asked, then check back later for our recap of the discussion. And be sure to check out Republican candidate Sean Bielat’s live chat from Thursday.
5. Fall clean-up: Needham's Fall Town Wide Clean Up Day is coming up on Saturday, Oct. 13. Volunteers are invited to meet at the Public Services Administration Building between 8:30 and 9 a.m. to receive a clean-up site and trash bags. Volunteers should bring their own work gloves. Work will run until 11 a.m. Help is also needed to install new trail signs at the Town Forest between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Meet at the Town Forest parking lot, 1421 Central Ave., across from the RTS. Register by emailing email@example.com or just show up Saturday morning to one or both events.