“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Chance of rain: Today will be mostly cloudy with a slight chance of showers after 3 p.m. and more rain possible in the evening, mainly before midnight, according to the National Weather Service. High: 62, Low: 43. Chance of precipitation: 20-40 percent.
2. CPC meeting: Needham residents are encouraged to come hear about several projects that are being considered for Community Preservation Act funding at Needham's Oct. 29 special Town Meeting during a public hearing tonight at 7:30 p.m. in selectmen's chambers at Needham Town Hall.
3. Film screening: The documentary “Bitter Seeds” will be shown today at 6 p.m. in the parlor at First Parish in Needham, part of the Unitarian Universalist church’s Needham Lyceum program. The award-winning film looks at the future of farming and the worldwide debate over the changes created by industrial agriculture. Needham Lyceums are free and open to the public.
4. Needham History Walk: Take your family on a walk or ride through 300 years of Needham history this Sunday, Oct. 14 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Pick up a guide map at the Needham Historical Society, online at www.needhamhistory.org/ HistoryWalk or at any of the six hubs. Speakers will be available at each hub to tell stories and answer questions, and children can enjoy a scavenger hunt along the way. This program is free and open to all.
5. Trick-or-Treat! Looking for a safe, fun way to celebrate Halloween with the little ones? Bring them to Needham Park and Recreation’s Spooky Walk, scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 20 between 10:45 a.m. and 1:45 p.m. in Needham Center. Cost is $3 per child, and registration is required. Space is limited, so sign up soon.