“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Mostly sunny: Today will be most sunny but cooler, with a high of 45 and a low around 26, according to the National Weather Service.
2. Last chance to vote absentee: The deadline to apply for an absentee ballot is noon today. Applications are available in the town clerk’s office at Needham Town Hall or online at needhamma.gov/townclerk (click on “Voter Registration and Information” at the bottom of the left column). All absentee ballots must be received by the town clerk’s office by the time the polls close on Nov. 6 to be counted.
3. Visit with Denise Garlick: Needham’s state representative will be available at the Stephen Palmer Senior Center today from 10:45-11:45 p.m. to hear residents’ concerns and to answer any questions. No registration required.
4. Neighborhood Association meeting: Needham Director of Economic Development Devra Bailin will speak at the Needham Heights Neighborhood Association's next meeting today at 7 p.m. at the Needham Free Public Library. Bailin will be addressing current projects under development at the Needham Business Center as well as planned future expansion. She will also give an update on other economic development issues under discussion and their projected impact on the town of Needham. This program is free and open to all.
5. Halloween contest deadline: Because of Hurricane Sandy, the deadline to submit your photos in Patch's Best Halloween Costume in America Contest has been extended to today at 11:59 p.m. National judges will choose 21 finalists from each Patch state and select one grand prize winner based on who has the most creative and innovative costume. Each state finalist will receive $250, and one grand prize winner will receive $5,000. Enter now!