“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Slight chance of rain: There is a 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms today after 2 p.m. and again toward the evening, with patchy fog before 11 a.m. and after 11 p.m., according to the National Weather Service. The rest of the day will be mostly cloudy with a high near 75 degrees and a low around 57.
2. Honors concert: The Needham elementary school honors band, honors chorus and NESO will perform their final concert of the year tonight from 7-8:30 p.m. at the auditorium. The concert is free and open to all.
3. Support the seniors: Shop at on Highland Avenue today between 3 and 7 p.m. and for the Class of 2012, an annual party on graduation night where graduating Needham High School seniors can be together in a safe, supervised location to have fun, reminisce and say good-bye. After shopping today, turn in your receipt to one of the parent volunteers at the end of the registers, and Sudbury Farms will donate 5 percent of your total to the All Night Party.
4. Shred-a-thon: Looking to get rid of old papers but don’t just want to toss them in the trash? The will host a shred-a-thon in the parking lot today from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Call 781-455-7555 to schedule a drop-off appointment. The first box of paper to be shredded is free; each additional box costs $5.
5. Garden tour coming up: Tickets are on sale now for the The Women’s Club’s Needham Garden Tour on Sunday, June 3. The event, which runs from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., will feature a self-guided tour of six Needham gardens, with informational “garden chats” conducted by area experts throughout the day. Advance tickets are available until May 28 for $30 at each tour sponsor’s Needham locations: , , , /, and . Tickets cost $35 after May 28.