“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Showers and T-storms: There is a chance of rain, with thunderstorms possible after noon today. The rest of the day will be mostly cloudy with a high near 77 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. More showers and thunderstorms could arrive this evening, with storms possible before 9 p.m. and a slight chance of showers from 9 p.m. on. The evening low will be around 58 degrees.
2. Author talk: professor Caitrin Lynch will be at the tonight at 7:30 p.m. to , "Retirement on the Line: Age, Work and Value in an American Factory." The book explores of Needham’s commitment to an elderly workforce and what it means for the employer, the workers, the community and society. This program is free and open to all. Books will be available for purchase and autographing.
3. For the kids: Children ages 5 and under can drop by the Needham Free Public Library today at 10 a.m. for , music and movement. Also today, ’s will meet from 11 a.m. to noon. The free group meets Wednesdays at the temple, and all are welcome.
4. Vote for the best story: Today through May 30, visit the YMCA of Greater Boston Facebook page and “like” your favorite posted there. The story with the most likes will win, and the winning mom will receive a “Relax and Renew” package from the Y.
5. Join a town committee: Needham residents are needed on several town committees, including the Community Preservation, Conservation and Human Rights committees, Council on Aging board and others. For more information about these committee assignments, visit the town’s website at needhamma.gov/committeevacancy or contact the selectmen’s office by e-mail at email@example.com or call 781-455-7500. Applications can be filed online at needhamma.gov/committeeform or at the selectmen’s office at .