“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Mix of rain and sun: It could be a somewhat dreary morning, with a chance of drizzle before 9 a.m. and a slight chance of showers between 9 and 11 a.m. The rest of the day will be partly sunny with a high near 58 degrees and a low around 46. The evening will be mostly cloudy.
2. Walk to School Day: Every spring, students across the state celebrate Massachusetts Walk to School Day by walking, biking or scooter-ing their way to school. This year, students throughout Needham , along with school staff, community leaders and “celebrity” walkers. Everyone is encouraged to wear their school “spirit wear” to show Needham pride. Those who can’t walk to school are invited to participate in walk-arounds at school. Visit the Green Needham website for a list of walk-around routes as well as one-way walking routes. This event will be held weather permitting; rain date is Friday, May 4.
3. Hillside/Mitchell update: Parents of students currently or soon-to-be in the or elementary schools are encouraged to attend about an ongoing school building study tonight at 7:30 p.m. at the . Architects from will share preliminary information and answer questions parents may have about the study as it moves forward. They expect to submit a final report to the Permanent Public Building Committee (PPBC) and the School Committee in June.
4. Register of Deeds in town: Norfolk County Register of Deeds William P. O’Donnell in the Great Plain Room at today from 10 a.m. to noon. The Register and his staff will answer questions or concerns about any Registry of Deeds matter and will have information about the Massachusetts Homestead Act as well as computers and printers that can be used to confirm the status of a mortgage discharge, print out a deed or demonstrate how the Registry’s website works. No appointment is necessary.
5. Ready to run? Sign up for the Needham Track Club’s this Sunday, May 6 at . This fun, family event includes races for all ages, from toddlers to seniors, with proceeds benefitting prostate cancer research. Cost is $16 for children ages 0-14 and $20 for runners ages 15 and up if registered by May 3 ($22 for adult sign-ups May 4-6). Register online or print forms and send with check made payable to "Needham Track Club" to: Needham Track Club, 53 Coulton Park, Needham, MA 02492.