“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Possible T-storms: Expect rain today, with thunderstorms possible after 4 p.m. The rest of the day will be cloudy with a high near 68 degrees and a low around 57, according to the National Weather Service. It will be breezy, too, with gusts as high as 23 miles per hour. More rain is expected toward the evening, with a possible thunderstorm after 11 p.m.
2. Summer signups: Registration opens today at 9 a.m. for the Needham Park and Recreation Department’s summer programs. Check out the list of available programs, including theater, sports and more, in the brochure at right or online at needhamma.gov. Register online, by mail to Park and Recreation, 500 Dedham Ave., Needham, MA 02492, or in person at the .
3. Author talk: Needham author Chaim M. Rosenberg will be at the tonight at 7:30 p.m. , "The Knitters of Needham." Books will be available for purchase and autographing courtesy of Wellesley Books.
4. School Committee meeting: The School Committee at 7 p.m. at . The agenda includes a report from the Student Advisory Committee, a review of the improvement plan and the superintendent's evaluation.
5. VIPs wanted: Needham Youth Services is putting together its Valuable Interactions among Peers (VIP) peer mentoring program for the 2012-13 academic year. High school age students are needed to be and mentor students in grades 3-5. Spots are also open for . The students will meet once a week (Tuesdays from 6:30-7:30 p.m.), supervised by Youth Services staff. They will play games, share stories and talk with one another. Applications are available at the Needham Youth Services office at or online at needhamma.gov/youth/VIP. Applications are due by Friday, June 1.