“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Mostly sunny: The day will be mostly sunny with a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 1 p.m. and a high around 66 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. The evening will be mostly cloudy, gradually becoming clear, with a low around 42.
2. A cappella concert: The Friends of Music’s will be held tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the high school auditorium. The show will feature the student a cappella groups Fermata Nowhere, Treble Rebels and Subway Dwarves and professional group Five O’Clock Shadow. Tickets cost $12 for adults and $10 for students and seniors. Visit nhsfriendsofmusic.org to purchase advance tickets.
3. Thrift shop: The Thrift Shop at 570 Hillside Ave. is open every Friday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Stop by to find deals on “new to you” clothing and small household items. Customers should use the entrance to the left side of the building.
4. Help Stamp Out Hunger: On Saturday, May 12, the Campbell Soup Company and the National Association of Letter Carriers are partnering once again to sponsor , the nation’s largest single-day food drive. All food collections in Needham will be delivered to the ’s Food Pantry. Needham residents are being asked to donate canned meats and fish, soup, juice, pasta, vegetables, cereal and rice, but do not include any items that have expired or anything in glass containers. Donations should be placed by the mailbox or front door and will be collected by a letter carrier during the day.
5. Calling all artists: The Needham Art Association is looking for local artists and musicians to participate in their annual on Saturday, June 9 on the . Artists may exhibit and sell their work and are encouraged to do live demonstrations for visitors. Needham artists can participate at no cost; out-of-town artists may participate for a $20 fee. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit needarts.org.