“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Partly sunny: Expect areas of fog this morning before 10 a.m., with the rest of the day partly sunny, according to the National Weather Service. The high will be around 65 degrees and the low around 38. There is a slight chance of showers late in the evening before 2 a.m.
2. Garden talk: Three garden clubs in Needham will host tonight at 7 p.m. in s Simon Hall. Entitled “Purely for Pleasure,” the talk will be led by Florida-based floral designer Penny Decker, who has received many awards for her work, such as The American Horticulture Society's Frances Jones Poetker Award. This program is free and open to all.
3. COA classes: Several will begin today, including a line dancing class (12-1 p.m.) at , a senior strength exercise class (10:15 a.m.) at the and a weight management support group (12:45-1:45 p.m.) at the Senior Center. All three programs will run eight weeks and cost $32 for the session. Payment is due at the first class. For information, call the Senior Center at 781-455-7555.
4. Summer leadership program: Registration opens today for Norfolk County Sheriff Michael G. Bellotti’s summer . The academy is open to children ages 10-14 who live in Norfolk County and is centered on the aerial ropes course at the Norfolk County Sheriff’s Office Braintree Public Safety Complex. Specially trained instructors will use the course to teach teamwork and build confidence among the kids. The program also includes anti-bullying presentations, fire safety instructions and K-9 demonstrations. The program is offered in seven weeklong sessions beginning July 2. Cost is $75 per person. Sign up online at www.norfolksheriff.com.
5. Grand wine tasting: The Needham Women’s Club’s is coming up, and there’s still a few days to pre-register for the $30 reduced ticket price. The event will be held on Sunday, April 1 from 3-6 pm. at and will give ticketholders the chance to sample wines from all over the world as well as enjoy tastings from low restaurants and food shops. All proceeds support the Needham Community Revitalization Trust Fund. Tickets are available online at www.needhamwomensclub.org and cost $30 through March 25 and $40 afterward, up through the day of the event.