“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Scattered showers: We’ll end the week on a rainy note, with scattered showers and thunderstorms expected throughout the day, according to the National Weather Service. Chance of precipitation is 70 percent. The day’s high will be around 52 degrees and the evening low around 40.
2. Spring musical: ’s production of “The Drowsy Chaperone” opens tonight with a 7:30 p.m. performance at the auditorium. Tickets cost $15 each and are available at the door. Keep in mind that parking at Newman is limited, and plan accordingly. For more information, call the NHS Fine and Performing Arts Department at 781-455-0800 ext. 2440. about the show and see photos of the cast in rehearsal.
3. Book group: The Daytime Book Group meets on the third Friday of every month at 11:30 a.m. A light lunch will be served. For more information about this or other groups at First Parish, call the church office at 781-444-0823 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Friday flick: Drop by the today at 1 p.m. to see the 2010 film “Midnight in Paris.” This is free, and there is no sign-up required. Upcoming features include "Midnight Lake" (1960) on Friday, March 23 and "Beethoven" (1999) on Monday, March 26.
5. Support Newman playground: A group of Needham residents is banding together to raise funds to replace playground equipment at . The town will be funding construction and improvement of the site itself, bringing it up to ADA code, but the “fun stuff”—monkey bars, slides, etc.—must be funded entirely with donations. Support the Newman Playground will hold their this Saturday, March 17 from 7-11 p.m. at the Needham . The St. Patrick’s Day-themed event will feature a DJ, auctions, raffles and food and drinks. Tickets cost $50 each and are available online.