“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. More snow: Needham will get more of the white stuff throughout the day today, with accumulation of 2-4 inches possible, according to the National Weather Service. Temperature-wise, the high will be around 35 degrees and the low will be around 23.
2. Time to unplug: The 11th annual month-long campaign kicks off today. Sponsored by Needham Youth Services, the program reminds Needham families and residents to unplug their electronics and spend more quality time with one another. Each day of the month, Needham Youth Services offers a suggestion for putting down the video games or other devices and having fun in other ways. Today, they suggest residents go through their closets and donate old clothes (how about to the ). Check out the full Unplugged calendar on Youth Services’ website.
3. Tennis badges available: Badges allowing residents ages 8 and up to use Needham’s public tennis courts today through the Park and Recreation Department (located at the ). Badges are required for use of the courts at and . Visit www.needhamma.gov/parkandrecreation for details on 2012 rates and information on how to purchase badges.
4. Lenten lunches: will hold Lenten soup lunches during the season of Lent on Thursdays from noon to 1 p.m. in the church library. All are invited to come participate in an hour of fellowship, refreshment and renewal with the Rev. Heike Werder. For information, call the church office at 781-444-2510.
5. Office hours: Drop by the on Highland Avenue today between 2-4 p.m. and say hello to Needham Patch Editor Becca Manning (that’s me!). I’ll likely be drinking a café mocha (or possibly a hazelnut latte) and will have my Patch laptop handy, so look for the bright green "Patch" sticker. Whether you’ve got a question about Patch, or a question about Needham, a news tip, story idea or just want to introduce yourself, just come on by.