Updated at 1:50 p.m. Friday, June 8
“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Chance of showers: More rain is possible today, with a chance of thunderstorms after 1 p.m., according to the National Weather Service. The high will be around 76 degrees and the low around 54. The rest of the day will be partly sunny. More showers and thunderstorms are possible in the evening before 1 a.m.
2. Tournament play: The No. 1 girls lacrosse team will face the No. 3 Westwood team tonight in the MIAA Division 1 South Final at . The game will begin at 5 p.m. Tickets cost $5 for students and senior citizens and $7 for adults. Children ages 6 and under get in free. Also today, the top-seeded NHS boys tennis team will play BC High School in the D1 South Semifinals at 2:45 p.m. at Wimbledon 109 in Walpole, and the No. 2 girls team will be playing Notre Dame in the MIAA Division 1 South Semifinal at 1:30 p.m. at the Boston Sports Club in Wellesley. (Note: Both tennis matches were moved indoors.)
3. Musical theater: Longwood Opera its 26th season tonight with “A Tribute to Leonard Bernstein” at 8 p.m. at in Needham. Tickets cost $23-$13 at the door. For more information, visit www.longwoodopera.org.
4. Due today: June 8 is the deadline for several programs around town, including:
- Applications are due for two open seats on a subcommittee that will be studying the Needham . Applications to the town manager’s office.
- Registration closes today for on women and cardiovascular disease sponsored by and others. The event will be held June 16 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Newton Marriott Hotel. Register by calling the American Heart Association at 508-935-3903 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Today is the final day to order through the Needham Education Foundation. These end-of-the-year donations to the NEF can be used to honor a teacher, staff person, family member or other influential person in a child’s life. Order them online at nefneedham.org/donate-trc.php.
5. Library survey: What are you reading? The Library Foundation of Needham is asking Needham readers to participate in a survey that will identify the town's favorite books. The results will be distributed at the foundation's on Sept. 14 at the . Gala proceeds will help build an endowment to benefit the . The one-page survey, which asks 10 easy questions, is available at the library circulation desk. Residents can also take the survey online at lfnonline.org. Please return surveys by June 30.