“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Mostly sunny: Expect mostly sunny skies and a high near 86 degrees today, according to the National Weather Service. The day will be windy, with gusts between 8 and 11 miles per hour and as high as 21 mph. Tonight will be mostly clear with a low around 65 degrees.
2. Fun for the kids: There is plenty to do today with the kids at the . First, at 11 a.m., bring the little ones over for , a half-hour program in which storybook favorites are brought to life on the big screen. At 4 p.m., ages 2-6 can enjoy 45 minutes of , with a theme of “Dream BIG.” And tonight at 7 p.m., Vermont-based PuppeTree will present of the story “Caps for Sale.” All programs are free, and there is no need to sign up. For information, call the library at 781-455-7559.
3. Go swimming: After a few days of rain, the skies should be clear today, and things will start to heat up again. Looking to cool off and/or enjoy the sun? Bring the family to , which is open 12:30-7:45 p.m. Daily admission is $6 per person for Needham residents ($3 after 6 p.m.) or $8 for non-residents ($4 after 6 p.m.), with a half-price rate for seniors. Season passes .
4. Dog park meeting: The Needham Dog Park Committee will meet tonight from 7-8:30 p.m. at . The group is working to bring an off-leash dog park to Needham. Learn more about their efforts at needhamdogpark.org.
5. Fireworks begin: Needham’s Fourth of July activities don’t start until July 3, but the celebration has already begun in some towns. Tonight, Somerville will host live entertainment and fireworks beginning around 9:15 p.m. Check out planned in the area and be sure to mark your calendar for . Heading into Boston? Make sure you know about all the in effect through the weekend, or take the Commuter Rail’s Needham Line—the will run June 30.