“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. T-storms possible: Showers and thunderstorms are likely throughout the day, with some storms producing heavy rain. There will be patchy fog between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., according to the National Weather Service. The high will be around 72 and the low around 58. Showers and possible storms will continue into the evening.
2. Swim lessons start: Though it may be postponed because of thunderstorms, Needham Park and Recreation's is set to begin today. Registration for the first two sessions (Session 2 begins July 9) is open now for all ages, from preschool to Levels 1-6. Cost is $30 per student with a or $60 without a Rosemary Pool Pass. For more information, visit www.needhamma.gov/parkandrecreation and look under Rosemary Pool and Swimming Lessons, or call 781-455-4550 ext. 3.
3. Public speaking help: The Boston West Toastmasters Club meet from 7:30-9 p.m. every second and fourth Monday of the month at in Needham. This local chapter of Toastmasters International is a nonprofit organization that helps its members develop their public speaking skills. Learn more at bostonwest.freetoasthost.org.
4. Kids' crafts: Drop by the at 10:30 a.m. for "Dream BIG"-themed geared to ages 2-6. The program includes about three crafts and usually lasts about 45 minutes. Please arrive during the first half hour of the program. No sign-up required. And remember: The library from Saturday, June 30 through Monday, July 9 while flooring is being installed.
5. Golf tourney today: Weather permitting, the Needham Exchange Club Golf Tournament at Oakley Country Club in Watertown, with registration beginning at 11:30 a.m. and a shotgun start at 1 p.m. This year's event will support construction of the Charles River Center's new handicapped-accessible home for adults in Needham. If you missed a chance to sign up but still want to join the cause, contact the Exchange Club for details on how to help—Gerry McTernan, tournament chairman, at email@example.com or 781-449-0202 or Joe Burns, tournament vice chairman, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 781-444-8810.