“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Sunny: It should be a nice, sunny Friday, with a high near 71 degrees and a low around 55, according to the National Weather Service. There is a chance of showers in the evening, mainly after 5 a.m. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent.
2. Peer tutoring, VIP deadline: Today is the final day to submit applications for Needham Youth Services' 2012-13 and program. The tutoring program is open go students entering grades 3-8 who have demonstrated a need for academic assistance or need support in developing successful study habits. Applications are available in the Needham Youth Services office or online at needhamma.gov/youth/peertutor. The VIP program—Valuable Interactions among Peers—is a peer mentoring program that matches a high school student with a student in grades 3-5 to provide social interaction. Applications to become a Big or Little VIP are due today. Apply at the office or online at needhamma.gov/youth/VIP.
3. Plugged In summer signups: Registration for the of the Plugged In Teen Band Program in Needham closes today. The summer program, which will run from June 25 to July 27, is open to youth ages 8-19, and will include ensemble band classes, songwriting, recording in a studio and a number of performances. For more information or to sign up, e-mail email@example.com, call 781- 956-4281 or visit www.pluggedinband.org.
4. Senior Center activities: Drop by the today at 1 p.m. to watch “The Purple Rose of Cairo" (1985). Friday Flicks are free, and there is no sign-up required. Coming up: The Needham Council on Aging, along with host business , will hold a for men in the community on Wednesday, June 13 at 10 a.m. Come celebrate Father’s Day with a breakfast of pancakes, sausages, scrambled eggs, biscuits and home fries. This event is free, but sign-up is required—call 781-455-7555.
5. For Needham eighth graders: Rising ninth graders (students in eighth grade this year) and their parents and guardians are encouraged to attend 's athletics and activities fair on Tuesday, June 5 from 6-8:15 p.m. The fair is for anyone who is interested in playing a sport or taking part in a club or organization at the high school next year.