“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Mostly sunny: Today will be mostly sunny with a high near 86 and a low around 55, according to the National Weather Service.
2. Olympics documentary: Needham Olympian Aly Raisman is featured in that will air tonight on Comcast SportsNet New England (Channel 52 for local Comcast subscribers). “Aly Raisman: Quest For Gold” follows the Needham teen from her Gold Medal performance at the 2011 Gymnastics World Championships in Tokyo to the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials in June, where she on the U.S. Women’s Gymnastics Team for the 2012 Summer Olympic Games in London. The documentary will air in three parts, beginning tonight at 8 p.m. and continuing on July 10 and 11 at the same time.
3. Swim lessons begin: The second session of Needham Park and Recreation begins today for all ages and skill levels. There is still a chance to sign up—call 781-455-4550 ext. 3 to register or visit needhamma.gov/parkandrecreation for more information. Cost is $30 per child with a or $60 without a Rosemary Pool Pass. Registration for Sessions 3 and 4 begins on Tuesday, July 17.
4. Speak up: The Boston West Toastmasters Club meets from 7:30-9 p.m. every second and fourth Monday of the month at in Needham. This local chapter of Toastmasters International is a nonprofit organization that helps its members develop their public speaking skills. Learn more at bostonwest.freetoasthost.org.
5. Traffic alert: Town workers have begun on Highland Avenue from Route 128 to Webster Street. Work will be done between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, now through the beginning of September. There will be traffic delays and possible traffic detours. Drivers are advised to seek alternate routes. If you have questions, call the Engineering Division at the Needham DPW at 781-455-7550.