“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Mostly sunny: Today will be mostly sunny with a light wind and a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening, according to the National Weather Service. High: 77, Low: 61.
2. Fun for kids: There are lots of ways to keep kids busy today, starting with a at 10:30 a.m. at the . Also at the library, at 3 p.m., Keith Michael Johnson will present At 1:30 p.m., Needham Park and Recreation’s Children’s Theatre series will continue with a performance by at the gazebo. In case of rain, the show will be held in the Performance Center. All three programs are free, with no registration required.
3. Women’s gymnastics continues: The 2012 Olympics women’s gymnastics competition will continue today with beginning at 11:30 a.m. Eastern Time. Needham resident Aly Raisman and teammates Gabby Douglas, Jordyn Wieber, McKayla Maroney and Kyla Ross will represent Team USA in the four artistic gymnastics events—vault, uneven bars, balance beam and floor. Watch the action live at NBCOlympics.com (with a cable, satellite or telco TV subscription that includes MSNBC and CNBC) or see the highlights in the NBC primetime broadcast, which begins at 8 p.m. ()
4. Night at the opera: Longwood Opera’s will continue tonight with “Presenting Rising Stars” at 7:30 p.m. at . Admission costs $8 for adults and $6 for seniors, students and children ages 10 and under.
5. Swimming lessons: The fourth and final session of Needham Park and Recreation will begin next Monday, Aug. 6 and will continue through Friday, Aug. 17. Classes range from 30-40 minutes each and are open to all levels, from preschool up through Levels 1-6. Cost is $30 per student with a or $60 without a pass. Register online at needhamma.gov/parkandrecreation or in person at the Park and Recreation Office, located on the first floor of the . Registration closes on Tuesday, Aug. 7 at 5 p.m.