“Five Things You Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Mix of clouds and sun: The day will be cloudy and will gradually become sunny, according to the National Weather Service. The high will be around 45 degrees and the low will be around 24. It could be a little windy, with gusts as high as 23 miles per hour.
2. Selectmen meeting: The Needham Board of Selectmen will open the 2012 annual Town Meeting warrant, discuss the fiscal year 2013 budget and consider the next steps following the November referral of the Stretch Energy Code article at their tonight at . Citizens can come talk with selectmen informally beginning at 6:45 p.m., with regular business to begin at 7:00 p.m.
3. Adoption info: The Alliance For Children, a nonprofit adoption agency in Needham, will host a free at 3:00 p.m. at their office at 464 Hillside Ave., Suite 300. RSVP to Bonnie DeLongchamp at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Town clerk’s hours: This month, the Needham town clerk’s office will hold evening hours on the rather than the second and fourth. The office, located at Town Hall, will be open tonight from 7:30-9:00 p.m. and again on Jan. 17. Pick up or drop off to run in the town election, , or conduct other business.
5. Community Council helps: This holiday season, the was able to help many families and individuals. Here are a few stats from the council: 200 families received food for their Thanksgiving and Christmas meals, including turkey certificates donated by ; more than 100 people joined together to share Thanksgiving Day dinner co-sponsored with the Rotary Club of Needham and another 75 received dinners delivered to their homes; more than 120 households received Christmas Day dinner deliveries co-sponsored with ; more than 200 families received holiday gifts, including toys, games and art supplies for children under age 12 and gift cards for teens; and more than 300 holiday gift bags were delivered to Needham residents in local nursing homes and/or to Needham “shut-ins.” The Community Council, which will be relocating in February, is running its annual fund drive; for information, visit needhamcommunitycouncil.org.