“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Rain possible: Today we'll have a mix of clouds and sun, with a chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 1 p.m. and again in the evening, according to the National Weather Service. High: 89, Low: 66. Chance of precipitation: 30-40 percent.
2. Chamber Open House: Whether you're a Newton-Needham Chamber of Commerce veteran, a new member or just thinking about joining, drop in for the first in a series of open office hours today from 9-11 a.m. at the Chamber offices, located on the second floor of the AAA Building in Marshalls Plaza, 281 Needham St., Newton. Meet Chamber president Greg Reibman and events and membership guru Karen Ficcardi and learn more about what the Chamber can do for you. No RSVP required.
3. For the kids: There are two activities to occupy the kids today at the . At 11 a.m., bring the young ones by to watch storybook favorites come to life during . Then at 4 p.m., ages 2-6 can get creative with on a theme of “Pajamarama Bedtime.” Both programs are free, with no registration required.
3. Island beats: Today’s free will be performed by , a band that plays original and cover songs from the Caribbean and Latin America, often using handmade indigenous instruments. The concert will be held from 7-8:30 p.m. at the gazebo. In case of rain, the concert will be moved indoors to the auditorium, just up the hill.
5. Gardeners in Training: The is offering for students entering grades 3-5. Participants will learn about what’s growing at the farm, seeds and weeds and pollination and composting and will help with a variety of farm activities. The class will run Monday through Thursday, Aug. 27-30, from 9 a.m. to noon at the farm location at 0 Pine St. (near the Charles River Street end). Register online at www.needhamfarm.org.