“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. End-of-summer crafts: Bring kids ages 2-6 to the today from 10:30-11:15 a.m. for . This program is free, with no registration required.
2. Find your voice: The Boston West Toastmasters Club meets from 7:30-9 p.m. every second and fourth Monday of the month at in Needham. This local chapter of Toastmasters International is a nonprofit organization that helps its members develop their public speaking skills. Learn more at their Web site.
3. Bible School begins: ’s Olympics-themed program begins today and runs through Friday, Aug. 31 from 8:30 a.m. to noon each day. Cost is $15 per day. For more information or to register, visit www.needhamucc.org or call the church office at 781-444-2510. Registration forms can be downloaded at http://needhamucc.org/learn/vbs.
4. Gardening class: The Needham Community Farm’s class for rising third, fourth and fifth graders begins today and runs Aug. 27-30. Participants will learn about what’s growing at the farm, seeds and weeds, pollination and composting. Register online at needhamfarm.org. Find a complete list of upcoming classes .
5. Volunteer opportunities: Whether you’re a Needham high school student looking for some community service hours or an adult with some free time, there are plenty of places around Needham that are in need of assistance. Tutor a local student, spend time with a senior, raise funds for cancer research, help out your neighbors, deliver meals to those in need and more. Check out our list of for more information. Does your group need volunteers? Post an announcement on Patch and let the community know.