“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Variety show: Stephen Lechner will bring his to the today at 3 p.m. Behind each door of this mysterious cabinet is an object or experiment that imparts a science lesson. With a lot of audience participation and funny business as each mystery is revealed, this program is a perfect way to end the library’s summer reading program. Also today at the library, ages 5 and under are invited to enjoy a at 10 a.m. Both programs are free, with no registration required.
2. Breastfeeding group: in Needham offers a free drop-in breastfeeding group on the third Wednesday of every month from 6:30-7:30 p.m. All women are welcome to attend with their babies, including expectant moms. The group is staffed by a board-certified lactation consultant who can answer moms’ breastfeeding questions. Enjoy the camaraderie and peer support as well as expert suggestions.
3. Networking opportunity: Newton-Needham Chamber of Commerce members are invited to mingle with other local professionals at a Business After Hours today from 5:30-7 p.m. at in Newton. Bring plenty of business cards and network while enjoying good food. This event is limited to Chamber members only. Learn more about the Chamber at nnchamber.com.
4. Candidate visit: Sean Bielat, Republican candidate for Massachusetts’ Fourth Congressional District, will host a town hall meeting from 6-7 p.m. today at the . The event is free and open to the public. Bielat will give an update about his campaign and then take questions. Know of another candidate visit coming up? Add it to the Patch Calendar and send details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Need a helping hand? The is a network of volunteers that helps neighbors suffering from serious illness, injury and other hardships. Services include non-medical, day-to-day tasks such as delivering meals, driving patients to and from local appointments, running errands and more. Find out how the group can help you or someone you know, or learn more about volunteering, by e-mailing email@example.com.