“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Special pool hours: Pool season is winding down, and will be open limited hours for the final week, from 12:30-5:30 p.m. daily. The last day of the season will be Friday, Aug. 24. Daily admission is $6 per person for Needham residents or $8 for non-residents, with a half-price rate for seniors.
2. Fall sports begin: With the not far off, fall sports at are . Today, varsity and junior varsity football and dance team practices begin. Cheerleading begins on Tuesday, and all other sports—including freshman football—begin on Thursday. See the full tryout and practice schedules for all fall sports in on the Athletic Department website, nhs.needham.k12.ma.us/athletics/.
3. Get a check-up: The Needham Public Health Department offers a free health clinic every Monday through Thursday from 8-9:30 a.m. at the office on the second floor of . Clinics may include blood pressure screening, immunizations, answers to medical questions, review of medications, counseling and referrals. For more information, call the office at 781-455-7523.
4. Blue’s birthday bash: Blue on Highland is celebrating its five-year anniversary all month with food and drink specials, but today the restaurant is really doing it up with a birthday bash featuring live music, free Island Creek Oysters and beer from Harpoon Brewery. The party will be held from 7-9 p.m. and will also include a live acoustic guitar performance by musician Colin Herlihy from 8-11 p.m. Reservations are recommended; call Blue at 781-444-7001. Learn more at blueonhighland.com.
5. Teen Y memberships: There is still time for Needham residents ages 13-17 to try out a at the YMCA. From June 23 through Sept. 8, teens can visit any YMCA of Greater Boston branch, including the in Needham, to enroll with a valid state or student ID or with a parent present. Questions? Call the Y at 781-444-6400.