“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Telling tales: Bring young ones to the today at 10 a.m. for a . This free program is geared toward ages 5 and under.
2. Fall sports forms due: Today is the deadline to turn in registration forms to participate in athletics this fall. Find the “blue” seasonal registration form and the “gold” annual registration form online at nhs.needham.k12.ma.us/athletics; fill them out and return them to the NHS Athletic Office (or fax to 781-455-0818) by today. Fall 2012 sports begin on the following dates: Dance team, and varsity/JV football, Aug. 20; cheerleading, Aug. 21; freshman football and all other fall sports, Aug. 23. See the fall sports tryout schedule on the athletics website.
3. Bon Appétit! Today would have been cooking icon Julia Child’s 100th birthday, and in celebration, Needham restaurant is offering a special three-course tasting menu for $29 per person. Call 781-559-0532 to make a reservation. Hungry for more? Check out all the great restaurants in Patch’s Directory, with information about hours, location, menus and more. Once you've dined out, be sure to add your reviews to the restaurant’s listing on Patch.
4. Free blood pressure screenings: will offer complimentary blood pressure screenings to the residents of Webster Green Apartments today from 10 a.m. to noon. The screenings will take place at the Webster Green Apartments, located at 757 Highland Ave., and refreshments will be provided.
5. Ongoing book sale: The Friends of the Needham Public Library’s next book sale isn’t scheduled until late September, but shoppers can always look through items in the library’s ongoing book sale section during regular library hours. The ongoing sale shelves are located near the lobby area, to the left of the circulation desk, next to the elevator. Items are individually priced. Pay for ongoing sale items at the library circulation desk.