“Five Things You Need to Know Today” is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Heating up: It will be a , with a high near 87 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. The day will be partly sunny, gradually becoming fully sunny. The evening will be mostly clear with a low around 57 degrees.
2. Patriots’ Day: Today is Patriots’ Day, a Massachusetts holiday commemorating the opening battle of the Revolutionary War, and most state and local government agencies will be closed today. In addition, the 2012 Boston Marathon will be held, so several roads in the area will be closed. If you head through Newton in particular, check out as well as a guide to MBTA changes set for today because of the marathon.
3. April Vacation: April Vacation Week begins today for students in , so you may see more kids around town throughout the day. Looking for ways to keep the kids busy? The offers its usual story, craft and Toddler Movies programs (check the Patch calendar for dates and times), plus the movie “Hugo” will be shown on Friday at 2 p.m. Know of some other great kids’ activities? Share ideas in the comments below. The library also offers several discount museum passes for locations in and around Boston. Passes can be picked up the day before the visit after 1:00 p.m. or by 11:00 a.m. that day. Call 781-455-7559 for information.
4. Tee time: The offers public golf hours for Needham residents on Sundays and Mondays from 3:00 p.m. to closing and on Tuesdays from 8:00 a.m. to closing. Call the Golf Club at 781-444-5548 or visit needhamgolfclub.com for more visitor information.
5. Donations welcome: The Needham Council on Aging is always looking for donations of items to sell in their boutique at the . Items may include costume jewelry, knick-knacks, collectibles, yard and new items to be re-gifted. Call the senior center at 781-455-7555 for information about donating.